What is better, leasing or getting a loan for a car?
Should I get a loan or lease my next car? I just got a new job and can't wait to get a shiny new car to go with it. I am more financially secure than ever, and I am thinking about getting something on the higher-end.
A shiny new car is a great reward for getting a new job! Deciding between a loan or a lease is entirely up to you and how you envision your car ownership. There are pros and cons to both options.
- Lower monthly payments
- Easier access to luxury vehicles
- Frequent upgrades mean you can always be driving the latest models
- A good warranty and free maintenance are usually part of the leasing contract
- If the annual mileage limit is exceeded, there can be high penalties
- Since you don’t own the vehicle at the end of the contract, you will always be making car payments
- Vehicle modifications are forbidden
- You have to carry the liability insurance limits mandated by your leasing contract
- It’s your car—make any modifications that you like
- Once the loan is paid off, you will have no monthly payments until you need a new car or car loan
- If you need or want to sell the car, you can at any time
- You can have your choice of liability limits
- Higher monthly payments
Since you are shopping for a new car, keep the cost of the insurance in mind. By downloading the Jerry app, you can quote both leasing and loan options with the appropriate coverages. Jerry shops insurance policies with over 50 companies and then delivers the options right to your phone.
Hopefully, this helps make the decision a little easier for you. Congratulations on the new job!
Did this answer help you?
Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.
Have a different question?
You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
Is there a way to fix being upside down on a loan?
How can I fix my car loan? I just learned that I am upside down on my loan by $8,000! I don't know how this happened.
Nov 05, 2021
Is 11% a good APR for an 84-month car loan?
I want to get a car loan, but the best rate I've found is 11% APR for 84 months. Is this a good deal? I have a 710 credit score.
Nov 05, 2021
How can I get a lower interest rate for my car loan?
Is there a way to get a low-interest rate on a car loan if you have bad credit? My credit is terrible, and my old car just kicked the bucket. I need another car, but I don't have enough cash saved up to buy one yet.
Nov 05, 2021