What insurance coverage do I need for a car that is driven infrequently?

I only need a car in the winter months (upstate NY), and even then I drive very little. I have a 2012 Acura MDX, 45,000 miles. What coverage do I need on my policy?

Apr 29, 2021
Answer provided by
Shannon Martin
Answered at Apr 29, 2021
“Regardless of how infrequently the vehicle is driven, make sure that you have enough coverage so you are protected in the event of a loss.
It would be best if you had liability coverage limits that are significantly higher than the minimum requirements. New York also requires that you carry personal injury protection (PIP) coverage on your policy.
If you are not prepared to pay repair costs out of pocket, up to the value of your vehicle, you should consider maintaining comprehensive coverage and collision coverage on the vehicle as well.
Now, since you only need your car in the winter, a storage plan may be a great option for you. With a storage plan, once the car is parked, you can remove all coverage accept comprehensive coverage from your policy.
This will save a lot of money for you over the year. In NY, this means you need to surrender your plates every time you remove coverage.”
New YorkCar Insurance

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies