What happens once gap insurance covers my loan?

My wife and I were in a not-at-fault accident. The other driver's insurance is covering the cost of our vehicle, which is totaled. We do have gap insurance, but I'm wondering what happens after that. Am I responsible for getting a new car?

“When you get into a not-at-fault accident and your car is deemed a total loss, the responsible party’s insurance will typically pay out the actual cash value of your vehicle.
If the actual cash value of your vehicle is less than what you owe on your loan, your gap insurance will cover the difference. With your loan paid off, you’re able to purchase a new car.
Had you owed less on your loan than your vehicle was worth, you would have received the remaining difference, which you could have put toward a down payment on a new car.
Emily Maracle
Answered on May 07, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free