What happens if my boyfriend used my car and wrecked it?

"My boyfriend borrowed my car and got into an accident. I have full coverage, but his license is suspended. Will my insurance cover the damage?"

Answer provided by
Emily Maracle
Answered on Jul 27, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.
“As long as your boyfriend isn’t excluded on your policy, your car insurance company should cover the damages.
Since you gave your boyfriend permission to drive your vehicle, he would be covered under your insurance. Insurance typically follows the vehicle and not the driver.
Driving with a suspended license shouldn’t impact your claim approval, but he may face fines or further consequences for breaking the law.
If your insurance does deny the claim, you would be personally responsible for the damages as it was your vehicle. The same would be true if your insurance covers the damage, but your policy limits were exceeded. Any remaining damage would be your responsibility.
You’ll need to stay in contact with your insurance company as a claim process isn’t easy. It may take a significant amount of time to resolve the claim and payout for the damage caused.”

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies