What happens if I'm at fault in an accident with Utah's minimum car insurance limits?

"I have collision coverage in addition to the state minimums, but I'm not sure about the other driver. I know the damage to the other driver's car is above my property damage limit.

How much will I have to pay out of pocket? Would it matter what coverage they have on their vehicle?"

“If you’re at fault in an accident, you are responsible for any resulting damages or injuries. Once your insurance limits are exhausted, you’re required to pay for the rest out of pocket.
In some cases, the other driver’s underinsured motorist coverage may apply. However, their insurance company will attempt to recover any money that they pay out. This means you’d still be responsible for the amount and they could file a suit against you to recover any damages.
Should you be unable to pay for the damages, they could garnish your future wages or assets to pay for them. This is one reason why it’s extremely important to carry the highest limits of insurance coverage that you can afford.
While you may have to pay more upfront, you can avoid any financial hardship that an at-fault accident may cause in the future.
Emily Maracle
Answered on May 17, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.