What happens if I have out-of-state insurance?

I live in Manhattan and have a van, but the insurance rates are so expensive here. I'm thinking of taking a trip to Connecticut and purchasing insurance there. Can I have Connecticut insurance in New York?

“Technically no, because state laws differ on car insurance requirements.
The state minimum car insurance requirements will differ between Connecticut and New York, and your car should be insured in the state where you reside so that you meet these minimum requirements.
Each state has different residency requirements. In New York, if you reside in the state for 90 days, you are considered a resident. To purchase car insurance in Connecticut, you will probably need an address in the state.
That said, many people travel with their vehicles for work and leisure. If you’re passing through Connecticut, or even staying there for a short time, your car insurance from out-of-state will cover you.
New York has expensive rates to cover the cost of the higher number of accidents. It’s not necessarily indicative of having a higher percentage of bad drivers; it’s that there are more people on the road, with the potential for more accidents and more theft.
If you want help finding lower rates, try using the free Jerry app. Jerry compares rates from the top companies and delivers the best deals to your phone in minutes.”
Sophie Newman
Answered on Aug 18, 2021
Sophie Newman is a writer from California. Her hobbies include brewing her own kombucha, riding horses, and taking long road trips.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.