What is covered by flood insurance?

Thankfully, I bought flood insurance last year, and after the flooding this week here in Florida, I'm grateful I am prepared. I’m curious, though, what does flood insurance actually cover?

Will Baldwin · Updated on
Reviewed by Shannon Martin, Licensed Insurance Agent.
“I’m glad you got insurance before the flood!
Flood insurance is usually comprised of two types of coverage: building or contents coverage.
Building coverage includes the integral and structural components of a building, like:
  • Furnaces and water heaters
  • Electrical and plumbing systems
  • Built-in appliances (dishwashers, fridges, and stoves)
  • Fuel tanks, well water tanks and pumps
  • Detached garages
  • Carpeting
  • Stairs
Contents coverage includes your personal belongings, like:
  • Curtains
  • Washer and dryer
  • Portable and window air conditioners
  • Personal electronics
  • Microwave oven
  • Clothing
If you have questions about specific policies, your best bet is to reach out to your insurance company directly.
If you want to adjust your coverage or shop for a better rate, try using the
app. Jerry compares rates from the top providers and delivers the best deals to your phone for free.”
View full answer 
Jerry partners with more than 50 insurance companies, but our content is independently researched, written, and fact-checked by our team of editors and agents. We aren’t paid for reviews or other content.

Join 4M+ members in lowering their car insurance

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free