What does comprehensive insurance cover?

Does it provide coverage if I hit another vehicle, if my vehicle is damaged in a hit-and-run, or if an uninsured motorist hits me? If i'm injured, would it cover my medical expenses?

Comprehensive insurance only covers physical damage to your vehicle that’s caused by a covered peril. This often includes vandalism, theft, hail damage, tree damage, or collisions with animals.
If you hit another vehicle and are at fault, your bodily injury liability would cover any of the other driver’s injuries. Your property damage liability would cover any damage to their vehicle.
If your vehicle is damaged in a hit-and-run, you may be able to submit a claim through your uninsured motorist coverage. You’d use the same coverage if an uninsured motorist hits you in an accident.
In any scenario where you’re injured and at fault, you’d need medical payment coverage or health insurance. “
Emily Maracle
Answered on May 19, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free