What does Auxiliary Private Structures mean?

I am looking at my homeowners policy and under Section 2 it says Auxiliary Private Structures. What on earth is that?

Answer provided by
Shannon Martin
Answered on Jul 12, 2021
Shannon is an expert in personal lines liability insurance with 13 + years of insurance industry experience. She also served as a special insurance liaison to AARP members for 6 of those years. She is a graduate of UL Lafayette and currently resides in NY with her family. Shannon is also an amateur juggler, ukulele player, and is a time travel paradox theory enthusiast.
“Most homeowners insurance policies have the same type of language, but every now and then, you will stumble across terms that aren’t as commonly used, such as this one.
Auxiliary private structures is just another way of saying other structures. Other structures coverage pays for damage to other structures on your property that are not connected to the dwelling. This could mean a:
  • fence
  • shed
  • detached garage
  • greenhouse
  • gazebo
  • pool
Other structures coverage is also referred to as coverage D. It usually covers 10% of the limit to coverage A (the dwelling).
If you have made any additions or upgrades to your property, like adding an in-ground pool or gazebo, this is the coverage that you would want to increase to protect your investment.
If you’re looking to find ways to save on insurance or want to verify you have the best policy for you, use a smart comparison tool like Jerry. Jerry pulls rates from the top 45+ insurance companies in seconds to make insurance shopping easier for you.”

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies