What do the dash lights on my Volkswagen Golf mean?
I’ve been driving my vehicle for a few years now, and yesterday I had a light show up on my dashboard that I’ve never seen before. I don’t know what the light means or how to turn it off. What does the dash light in my Volkswagen Golf mean?
Answer provided by
There are a variety of different dashboard signals that may arise while you drive your vehicle. However, some lights are more serious than others, and should be addressed immediately.
If you’re unsure what to do, follow this simple rule: if the light is yellow, be cautious and check it out as soon as possible. If the light is red, stop the vehicle and call for assistance.
The most common red dash lights and their meanings in the Volkswagen Golf include:
- Oil Pressure: There is no oil pressure. Turn the engine off and contact your local authorized dealer.
- Coolant Level Low/Coolant Temperature High: Stop the vehicle and refill your coolant. Check your owner’s manual for more information.
- Direct-Shift Gearbox Transmission Too Hot: Turn off the engine and allow the transmission to cool off with the gear shifter in park.
- Hood Open: Your engine hood is open or not closed properly. Ensure your hood is closed before you continue driving.
- Parking Brake: May indicate that your parking brake is engaged, there is an ABS malfunction, or there is low brake fluid. Stop the vehicle. As you take care of your vehicle’s warning lights, ensure you’re covered with a great car insurance policy. To find great car insurance coverage at a low rate, use Jerry.
Jerry is a car insurance super app that can find you savings on policies in just 45 seconds! Jerry will compare quotes from the nation’s top providers to find you the best deals and can even cancel your existing policy if you decide to make the switch!
MORE: Volkswagen Golf V6
Here to save on car and home insurance? Great, you do that. We’ll do everything else.
Sign up in under a minute.
No need to fill out forms or shop around. Sign up in 45 seconds to start saving. Jerry does the rest.
Jerry collects and analyzes your current coverage.
Say hello to Jerry, your new insurance agent. We’ll contact your insurance company, review your current plan, then find the coverage that fits your needs and saves you money.
Get the best options before your renewal.
Jerry does all the picky, busy work by comparing prices and coverage from more than 50+ insurance companies. We compare what we find to your current policy and offer you the three best options before every renewal.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
How Much Should I Pay For A Pontiac Vibe Car Cover?
I’m currently looking for a car cover for my Pontiac Vibe, but it’s kind of confusing. The prices seem to be all over the place. I’m seeing ones for as little as $30 and some for more than $200. I don’t want to get the worst once just because it’s cheap, but I also don’t want to pay way more than I need to. What’s the cost for like just a medium-quality cover?
Jun 02, 2022
Can A Car Cover Damage My Suzuki SX4?
So I’ve been using a car cover for a while to keep snow and salt off my Suzuki SX4, but recently I heard that covers can actually damage your car. Is that true?
Jun 02, 2022
How is the traffic in Houston, Texas?
I’m heading to Houston soon and have a rental car, a packed itinerary, and not a lot of time to waste. How bad is the traffic in Houston, Texas?
Jun 02, 2022