What do I do with my child's car insurance if she's going to school in another state?

Will I need to change my policy when my daughter moves away? We live in California and in the fall my daughter will be attending the University of Arizona. She currently drives one of our cars and is on our policy.

“If your daughter drives a car registered in your name in California, you will likely be able to keep her on your car insurance, even if she moves out of state for school.
Most insurance companies allow this, as your child isn’t a permanent resident of the new state.
When you inform the insurance company of your child’s college student status, make sure to continue to use your home address as her primary address.
You should also inquire about discounts for college students or good student.”
Sophie Newman
Answered on Jul 23, 2021
Sophie Newman is a writer from California. Her hobbies include brewing her own kombucha, riding horses, and taking long road trips.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Let Jerry’s experts help you find savings on your car insurance!
No long forms or spam · Get quotes from 40+ carriers
Find insurance savings (100% Free)
4.7/5 Rating on App Store