What do I do if someone hit my car and fled the scene?

"What can I do if someone rear ended me then sped off? We agreed to move to a different spot, but they left. I got their license plate, but the number isn't associated with the vehicle they were driving. I wasn't able to call the police until later since I didn't have my phone with me."

“You’ll want to reach out to your car insurance company. You can send them a copy of the police report as well, since this will have the license plate number on it.
They may be able to help track down the driver. If not, you may be able to use your insurance to cover your damage until the driver is found.
If you have collision insurance, your insurance will pay to repair your damages. You will need to pay your deductible, but if the driver is found, your insurance will try to seek reimbursement for it.
You may also be able to use your uninsured motorist coverage depending on your insurance company’s terms and conditions.
Should you have neither of these coverages, you may need to pay for the damages out of pocket until the driver is found.”
Emily Maracle
Answered on Jun 21, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.
Let Jerry’s experts help you find savings on your car insurance!
No long forms or spam · Get quotes from 40+ carriers
Find insurance savings (100% Free)
4.7/5 Rating on App Store

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free