What do I do if my parents won't let me drive anymore because they're worried about their insurance rates?

"I got into a minor accident and since I'm on my parents' insurance, their rates were affected when I filed a claim. Now they won't let me drive at all! I even offered to pay the difference in price. I'm 17. What are my options?"

“If you still want to drive, your best option would be to purchase your own car insurance. Even though you’re under 18, most states allow minors to purchase their own car insurance plans, though you might have to have a parent co-sign.
If this isn’t an option, you can wait until you’re 18 and purchase your own policy. That way, you’ll be entirely responsible for your own rate hikes.”
Sophie Newman
Answered on Jul 27, 2021
Sophie Newman is a writer from California. Her hobbies include brewing her own kombucha, riding horses, and taking long road trips.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies