What do I do if my ex-husband says I stole a car that's registered to me?

My ex is claiming that I stole his car even though the registration is in my name. What do I do to protect myself?

“Since the car is registered in your name, make copies and show the court the following:
If there are no outstanding liens still on the vehicle and no court orders entitling him to the vehicle, then he has little ground to stand on.
On the other hand, if your divorce settlement says that he’s entitled to this asset, then you’ll need to abide by what you agreed to. When in doubt, contact your divorce attorney and explain the situation.”
Sophie Newman
Answered on Aug 09, 2021
Sophie Newman is a writer from California. Her hobbies include brewing her own kombucha, riding horses, and taking long road trips.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free