What do I do if my car was damaged in a hit and run in Idaho?

My car was hit outside my house while it was parked on the street. I have liability only. I got the color, make, and model of the other car, but no license plate. Is there any way my car would be covered?

“Typically, in a hit and run, two types of coverage would kick in. One is collision coverage and the other is uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage.
While a large number of states do require uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, Idaho isn’t one of them.
Since you only had liability coverage, collision coverage would not be an option for you, either.
The best thing you can do in a situation like this is to reach out to your insurance company. They might not be able to do anything for you, but it’s always worth confirming with them.
If they aren’t able to help you with your vehicle, you should get an estimate for your repairs. In the worst-case scenario, you could try to sell your vehicle as is. “
Emily Maracle
Answered on May 07, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.