What do I do if my car was broken into?

"My car was broken into at a friend's house. My passenger window was shattered, but they didn't take anything. Can I file a claim with my insurance?"

Answer provided by
Emily Maracle
Answered on Jul 27, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.
“If your vehicle was broken into, you should reach out to your insurance company. They may want you to file a police report as well.
If you have comprehensive insurance vandalism and broken glass are typically covered perils. With full glass coverage or no glass deductible, you also won’t be required to pay your deductible for coverage.
If you don’t, your insurance will most likely require you to pay your deductible before they’ll provide coverage.
Depending on the extent of the damage or cost of repairs, you may have to pay for the entire cost out of pocket. The same would be true if you don’t have comprehensive insurance on your policy.”

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies