What do I do if I get into an at-fault accident in New Hampshire?

I don't have bodily injury liability and was in an at-fault accident. The other driver's insurance let me know that they are injured and seeking reimbursement for medical bills. Their vehicle wasn't damaged, but mine is totaled. Am I going to be sued? Will I lose my license?

“Since New Hampshire is a state that does not require drivers to carry a minimum amount of insurance, you have not done anything illegal.
As long as you weren’t driving under the influence or acting with gross negligence, you should not lose your license, even though the accident was your fault.
Without any type of bodily injury liability coverage, you are required to pay for any injuries from the accident out of pocket. If you refuse to pay or can’t come to an agreement with the other driver’s insurance, they can sue you to recover the loss.
The only thing you can do is work with the other driver’s insurance and ensure you have better coverage in the future. If paying for any type of damage or injury out of pocket could create financial hardship, you should have car insurance coverage, regardless of whether it is required or not.
Emily Maracle
Answered on Apr 30, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free