What do I do if I get into a not at-fault accident?

Do I need to inform my insurance if I filed a claim with the other person's? I was in a multi-vehicle accident and the at-fault driver was arrested at the scene. I have medical bills and need to get a rental car as well. What should I do next?

Answer provided by
Emily Maracle
Answered on Jun 21, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.
“You’ll want to reach out to your car insurance company as soon as possible. Depending on the coverage on your policy, you may also need to file a claim with them.
If you have medical payment coverage or personal injury protection on your policy, those will cover your medical expenses. They will also kick in before your health insurance and can help pay for copays or deductibles.
If you have rental reimbursement coverage on your policy, this will cover your rental car.
Once your insurance pays out what it can, they will seek reimbursement from the other company or driver. If your policy does not contain these coverages, you’ll need to wait for the other party’s insurance.
Regardless, you’ll still want to inform your insurance as they may be able to provide assistance or help negotiate.”

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies