What do I do if I disagree with my adjuster on my home insurance claim?

Answered by Home Insurance, Car Insurance Expert Shannon on January 28, 2021

I'm not happy with the payment amount that my adjuster's settled on. How do I dispute it?

expert avatar


Home Insurance, Car Insurance Expert

If you and the adjuster do not see eye to eye on the claim or the payout amount, there are a few steps you can take. The first would be to send a letter or email to your insurance carrier, stating why you feel the claim amount should be different. It will help if you can get other estimates to back up your statements. If this does not work, you would want to speak with the adjuster’s supervisor and state that you would like to invoke your policy’s appraisal clause. This is a process where you and the insurance company would select their own appraisers, and they would come to a conclusion regarding the true amount of the payout.

Home Insurance

Have an insurance question?

Our insurance agents are ready to help you, for free.

Ask your question, it’s 100% free
Thousands of customers saved on average $887/year on their car insurance with Jerry
This app is great, but the customer service is even better! Not to mention convenient! My husband and I got the lowest rate (much lower than the rates I was finding online through my own searches), quickly, and pretty much all through text message! Thank you so much for a hassle free experience👍
Gabriella R.
Find savings (100% Free)
stars4.6/5 Rating on App Store