What do I do after I was in an accident with an uninsured driver in Mississippi?

I submitted a claim through the at-fault driver's insurance, but they just told me that they were uninsured at the time of the accident. I have uninsured motorist coverage, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do next. I have The General insurance. What is the process like?

Answer provided by
Emily Maracle
Answered on May 10, 2021
“Most insurance companies follow the same claims process. Since you have uninsured motorist coverage, you’ll want to call your insurance company to let them know about the situation and to report a claim.
Once it’s reported, the insurance company will have an adjuster look over the accident details, as well as any documentation you may have, like a police report. They may also seek to confirm that the other driver was uninsured at the time of the accident.
The adjuster will also assess the damage on your car. They’ll decide whether it’s worth repairing your vehicle or if it should be deemed a total loss. If it’s deemed a total loss, you’ll receive a payout for the actual cash value of your vehicle.
Your insurance company may also choose to pursue legal action against the other driver to recover costs.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies