What can I do when the other person’s insurance company won’t accept liability for an accident because of a missing statement?

"I have liability only insurance on my Oldsmobile 88. I was in an accident with a drunk driver who fled the scene, but the police got him a block away.

His insurance denied my claim because the driver never gave them a statement. What can I do?"

Answer provided by
Shannon Martin
Answered on May 13, 2021
“If their denial of your claim is due to being unable to contact their insured, then they have an issue with resolving the liability of the claim.
If you have not already done so, you need to obtain a copy of the police report. The other person’s insurance company is probably not going to spend money getting a copy of the report, and if the other driver has not spoken to their insurance company, then it is unlikely that they have gone out of their way to get the report.
If the report assigns fault to the other driver, this may help your case.
At this point, any damage to your car wouldn’t be covered since you don’t have collision coverage. You would have to pay for it yourself. “

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies