What can I do if the at-fault driver will not pay my deductible after a drunken accident?

My drunk neighbor crashed into my car and left a note saying she would pay my deductible. I filed a claim with my insurance and used my collision coverage, but now my neighbor won’t answer the phone or the door. How can I get her to pay up?

Answer provided by
Shannon Martin
Answered on May 13, 2021
“When you file a claim through your insurance company, once they issue a payment on that claim, they have a right to recover the money. Do not attempt to get your neighbor to pay your collision coverage deductible without speaking to your insurance company, as this could interfere with their recovery efforts.
In some cases, the insurance company may allow you to accept a payment from the other party for your deductible only, but you need to speak with them. If it is perceived that you are accepting payments from both the insurance company and the other party, you can get into quite a bit of trouble.
It is best to wait for your insurance company to recover your deductible. If they are unable to recover it, they will let you know. “

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies