What can I do if I'm upside-down on a $20,000 car loan but I want to get a new car?

I still owe $13,000 on a $20,000 car loan. I've had this car for a while, but I've never really liked it. What can I do if I'm upside-down on a car loan and want a different, better car?

Answer provided by
Eric Schad
Answered on May 05, 2021
“You have a few options, but you probably won’t like any of them.
You could trade in the car for less than market value. Then, the balance left over on your loan will roll over into the new car loan. You’ll be even more upside-down, but at least you’ll have something you like.
You could also try to sell your car for the amount you owe on the loan. However, this might mean you have to sell it for more than its fair value, so that’s next to impossible.
Your final option would be to pay your car down until you break even. This means you should throw any extra cash you have at the principal remaining on the loan. In the meantime, you’ll just have to suck it up with a car you don’t love.”

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies