What can I do after an uninsured driver totaled my car at a red light?

I was stopped at a red light and an uninsured driver rear-ended my car at about 45 mph. I have uninsured motorist coverage, but the insurance company said it could take a week or more before I get paid for the car. How am I supposed to get to work?

“You are in an unenviable position and I hope things are resolved quickly. If you don’t have collision coverage on your policy, the only option is to wait for the uninsured motorist property damage (UMPD) to pay out.
Contact your insurance company and ask if your UMPD coverage includes payment for a rental car. This will depend on which state your policy is in, as UMPD guidelines vary from location to location.
If your insurance does not cover the cost of a rental car, ask them if they work with certain rental agencies, which might give you a discount as a policyholder with your insurance company.
If renting a car is not a solution for you, you may have to rely on public transportation or ridesharing services until the insurance company can complete a valuation report on your vehicle and issue a payment.”
Shannon Martin
Answered on May 13, 2021
Shannon is an expert in personal lines liability insurance with 13 + years of insurance industry experience. She also served as a special insurance liaison to AARP members for 6 of those years. She is a graduate of UL Lafayette and currently resides in NY with her family. Shannon is also an amateur juggler, ukulele player, and is a time travel paradox theory enthusiast.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free