What can I do about the $500 I owe the hospital after a car accident?

"I have medical payments coverage for $7,500. My medical bills totaled $10,000 after an accident. I had a deductible of $500 for my health insurance and an out-of-pocket max of $5,000.

I was hoping my medical payments coverage would cover my insurance deductible and out-of-pocket max, but I still owe the hospital $500. Is there anything I can do? "

Medical payment coverage is designed to help cover any medical expenses that you incur after an accident. It’s often treated as your primary coverage. Your health insurance would then cover any additional costs once you’ve exhausted medical payments.
As you still owe the hospital $500, you should reach out to your car insurance carrier and your health insurance company. Normally, your medical payments coverage should cover your health insurance deductible. There might have been some miscommunication regarding what your medical payments covers vs. what your health insurance covers.
Depending on what either company says and what is covered in both of your policies, you may not be required to pay the additional $500.
Emily Maracle
Answered on May 18, 2021
Emily Maracle is a car insurance specialist living in New York. Originally from the Pacific Northwest, she has a degree in English Literature and a background in customer service. She enjoys cooking, gardening, and living sustainably. In the future, she can't wait to upgrade to a hybrid or electric car.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free