Who will insure a gray-market vehicle?

I have a '92 Daihatsu Hijet. I imported it from Japan. It has a 659cc engine and a four-speed manual two-wheel drive. It's gonna be my everyday truck so I need to get it insured.

Hi Mark, the ‘92 Daihatsu Hijet is a very cool little truck!
In most cases, you would be able to place your vehicle with an insurance carrier specializing in collector vehicles like Hagerty or Grundy. However, since you mentioned it would be your daily driver, they may not accept it. Usually, collector carriers will only write a policy if you already have an underlying policy for your regularly driven car.
Reach out to The Hartford; they may provide a liability car insurance policy and possibly full coverage with a stated or agreed value.
The other option is to find a local broker. Once they have the specifics and understand the situation, they can negotiate a policy on your behalf with the correct carrier.
Shannon Martin
Answered on May 12, 2021
Shannon is an expert in personal lines liability insurance with 13 + years of insurance industry experience. She also served as a special insurance liaison to AARP members for 6 of those years. She is a graduate of UL Lafayette and currently resides in NY with her family. Shannon is also an amateur juggler, ukulele player, and is a time travel paradox theory enthusiast.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies