Should I switch insurance companies after a DUI in Arizona to get the SR22?

I live in AZ and got a DUI. Now I need an SR22, but everyone is telling me not to tell my current insurance company because they will jack up my rate. If I switch companies, won’t my rates be higher anyways because of the DUI? What is the point in not telling my current insurance?

Apr 29, 2021
Answer provided by
Shannon Martin
Answered at Apr 29, 2021
“It can be scary or embarrassing to speak to your insurance agent about your DUI, but the only way to get an SR22 filed with the state is through an insurance company.
Your current insurance company may cancel your policy or increase your rates at your renewal date due to the DUI, not the SR22. The SR22 is just what they file with the state to prove that you have the minimum insurance required.
If you are close to the renewal date, use an insurance broker to get quotes from multiple insurance companies and find the best rate. If not, it may be best to keep your current insurance until your renewal.”
SR-22Car Insurance

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies