Should I rent a car in Nassau?
My friends and I are headed to the Bahamas for Spring Break, and we were thinking about getting a rental car to see more of the island. But do we really need one? Should I rent a car in Nassau?
Answer provided by
Nassau is a great vacation destination, and you and your friends are sure to have a wonderful time! There are a number of rental car agencies across the island, but with all the taxis and ferries available, you should not rent a car in Nassau—you can make do without it.
If you do choose to rent a car to explore beyond the tourist areas of New Providence Island or Grand Bahama Island, here are some things to keep in mind when renting a car in Nassau:
- The cars are mostly left-hand drive, but you drive on the left side of the road: Most cars in the Bahamas are imported from the U.S., so they’re left-hand drive, but the roads are left-hand drive, as well. Give yourself time to get acclimated to this before venturing into heavy traffic.
- U.S. and U.K. drivers do not need an international driver’s permit. A valid U.S. driver’s license will suffice.
- Reserve your car in advance. You’ll be able to easily find public transportation if no rentals are available, but you’ll likely get a better deal on your rental if you reserve it in advance.
- Determine who can drive the car. Anyone who might drive the car needs to be listed on the rental agreement.
- Keep your tank topped off. Fuel is easy to find in Nassau and Freeport, but it can be much harder to find, and much more expensive, in the Out Islands.
Whether you’re looking for lower-priced car insurance or you need to add rental car insurance to your policy, Jerry can help you find what you need.
Here to save on car and home insurance? Great, you do that. We’ll do everything else.
Sign up in under a minute.
No need to fill out forms or shop around. Sign up in 45 seconds to start saving. Jerry does the rest.
Jerry collects and analyzes your current coverage.
Say hello to Jerry, your new insurance agent. We’ll contact your insurance company, review your current plan, then find the coverage that fits your needs and saves you money.
Get the best options before your renewal.
Jerry does all the picky, busy work by comparing prices and coverage from more than 50+ insurance companies. We compare what we find to your current policy and offer you the three best options before every renewal.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
How many cars are in New Jersey?
I grew up in New Jersey, so I’ve explored all the hot spots like Atlantic City and Trenton. I found that no matter where I went, cars were everywhere. Out of curiosity, how many cars are there in New Jersey?
Apr 29, 2022
How many cars are in Montana?
After moving to Montana, I feel like there are more cars than there are drivers. I understand the need for cars to go off-roading or hunting, but the amount of vehicles seems like overkill. How many cars are there in Montana?
Apr 29, 2022
How many cars are in North Carolina?
My parents recently retired and moved to Wilmington, North Carolina. They both love the hospitality, the beach, and the historic downtown area. However, they tell me that traffic can be terrible. How many cars are there in North Carolina?
Apr 29, 2022