Should I rent a car in Alaska?
We’re planning a family vacation to Alaska in July. If we’re staying in Anchorage but want to do some sightseeing outside of the city, do we need to rent a car?
Answer provided by
Alaska is so beautiful—you and your family are sure to have a wonderful time! But unless you plan to book a guided bus tour, then renting a car is the best way to explore the state. Alaska’s roads are easy to navigate, and driving is both cheaper and faster than taking the train. Here are some tips for renting a car in Alaska:
- Reserve your car in advance. Summer is the peak travel season in Alaska, so the closer you get to your travel dates, the more expensive your rental fees will be.
- Decide where you want to rent your car. It’s usually convenient to pick up your rental car at the airport, but it might be more expensive! Check rates with a few different rental car companies to get the best price.
- Check if you have rental car coverage through your car insurance or your credit card.
- If you plan to split driving responsibilities with another family member, be sure to ask whether your contract covers other drivers.
- Fill up your gas tank before you set off on long drives. There are some stretches of Alaskan highways with many miles between gas stations.
Whether you want to lower your car insurance costs, or add coverage for a rental car, Jerry can generate competitive quotes from top providers in less than a minute. Jerry gathers your information from your past insurer for you and even handles all the forms and phone calls.
Here to save on car and home insurance? Great, you do that. We’ll do everything else.
Sign up in under a minute.
No need to fill out forms or shop around. Sign up in 45 seconds to start saving. Jerry does the rest.
Jerry collects and analyzes your current coverage.
Say hello to Jerry, your new insurance agent. We’ll contact your insurance company, review your current plan, then find the coverage that fits your needs and saves you money.
Get the best options before your renewal.
Jerry does all the picky, busy work by comparing prices and coverage from more than 50+ insurance companies. We compare what we find to your current policy and offer you the three best options before every renewal.
Read advice from car experts at Jerry
Browse by topics
What others are asking
Does Walmart service brakes?
I was debating on where I should go for my next vehicle service check-up. Does Walmart do brakes?
Apr 22, 2022
How much is a used 2016 Honda Accord?
I haven’t needed to look for a used car in a while. Have prices always been this high? How much is a used 2016 Honda Accord supposed to cost?
Apr 25, 2022
What is the base price for a Mercedes GLS63?
Is the GLS63 the most expensive type of Mercedes that you can buy in 2022? I’m not planning to buy a Mercedes, but I’m writing a story about a very rich person and I want to give him a really expensive car.
Apr 25, 2022