Should I get a non owners insurance policy if I'm moving to New York and don't need a car?

I'm moving to New York City, but only for two to three years. I know that a lapse in insurance can qualify you as "high-risk." My agent told me I can forego the lapse by purchasing a non owners insurance policy, but it seems too expensive ($90 a month). Should I get this coverage?

Answer provided by
Eric Schad
Answered on May 04, 2021
Non owners car insurance is generally less expensive than standard auto insurance. If $90 a month is too pricey for your budget, you can always shop around with other carriers to try to find a better deal.
It may be worth buying this coverage if you can find a more affordable rate. The longer your lapse, the more your rates may rise. Some insurers won’t even sell policies to drivers who don’t have six months of prior coverage.
If you want cheap car insurance quotes fast, go to Jerry. A licensed broker that offers end-to-end support, the free Jerry app gathers affordable quotes, helps you switch plans, and even cancels your old policy for you.”

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies