Should I file a claim with my insurance company if an unknown person hit my Honda?

I have a 2015 Honda CR-V. Last week, someone hit my parked car while I was in a store. Can I use my insurance to pay for repairs?

“If the person who hit your car didn’t leave a note, and if you’re unable to identify them, you should file a claim with your insurance company as soon as possible.
Since the other driver’s identity is unknown, you’ll have to use collision coverage to pay for the repairs.
If the damage is minor, your insurance will pay for the repairs, minus your deductible. Keep in mind that if the repairs cost less than your deductible, your insurance company will cover nothing and you’ll have to foot the bill.
If your car is considered a total loss, you’ll be paid the actual cash value of your car, minus the deductible.
If you don’t have collision coverage on your policy, then you’ll have to pay for the repairs yourself. “
Emily Richey
Answered on May 27, 2021

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.