Should I call the other driver's insurance company after a not-at-fault accident if I only have liability insurance?

I was hit by another driver, and I'm not sure what to do next since I only have liability insurance. Should I call the other driver's insurance company to file a claim?

Answer provided by
Eric Schad
Answered on May 04, 2021
Eric Schad has been a freelance writer for nearly a decade, as well as an SEO specialist and editor for the past five years. Before getting behind the keyboard, he worked in the finance and music industries (the perfect combo). With a wide array of professional and personal experiences, he’s developed a knack for tone and branding across many different verticals. Away from the computer, Schad is a blues guitar shredder, crazed sports fan, and always down for a spontaneous trip anywhere around the globe.
“In this situation, because the other driver hit you and is at fault, their liability coverage will take care of your expenses. You should contact their insurance company and file a third-party claim.
Hopefully, you have the other driver’s information, a picture of their driver’s license, a police report, or all of the above. You’re going to need it. In some cases, your own insurance company will offer to take care of this for you.
Remember that once you file a third-party claim, the payout is going to take some time. Usually, the other person’s insurer will want to conduct a thorough investigation.
But at the end of the day, taking matters into your own hands with a proactive approach is the best way to get results.”

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies