Is uninsured motorist property damage coverage required in Vermont?

I live in Vermont and my insurance policy has UMPD. Do I need this coverage or is it optional?

“Vermont requires that you carry $10,000 in combined uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage property damage.
This coverage pays for damage to your vehicle and other property caused by an uninsured or underinsured driver. In VT, this coverage has a $150 deductible, but the deductible does not apply if you have collision coverage on the policy.
Because this type of insurance only covers damages to your vehicle when the at-fault driver is uninsured or underinsured, you should also consider maintaining collision coverage on your policy. “
Shannon Martin
Answered on May 13, 2021
Shannon is an expert in personal lines liability insurance with 13 + years of insurance industry experience. She also served as a special insurance liaison to AARP members for 6 of those years. She is a graduate of UL Lafayette and currently resides in NY with her family. Shannon is also an amateur juggler, ukulele player, and is a time travel paradox theory enthusiast.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free