Is there a car insurance plan that will cover a car that isn't titled in my name?

I recently bought a used car for $300. I'm trying to sell it, so I don't want to have the title transfered. Is there a way to protect the car for now?

Answer provided by
Emily Richey
Answered on May 27, 2021
“When the car was sold to you, the previous owner should have notified the DMV that you are the new owner. In order to sell the car to a new buyer and transfer the title, the car needs to be in your name.
As far as the DMV is concerned, you’re the owner of the car and you’re liable for any accidents.
You can try to insure the vehicle without transferring the title, but some state laws will prevent you from insuring a car that’s not in your name.
The best plan is to transfer the title under your name and add your new vehicle to your existing car insurance policy.”

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies