Is my university address considered my primary residence by the car insurance company?

If the insurance company needs my primary residence, should I give them my university address or my parents address?

“Different insurance companies address car insurance for college students in different ways.
It will depend on whether or not you have a vehicle with you when you are at school. You or your parents should speak to the insurance company to ensure that they have the information they need to rate the policy appropriately.
Generally, your primary residence would be where you live when you are not in school, but if a vehicle is kept at an alternate address (like school), your policy should reflect this.
If you opt to go for your own insurance policy, using a smart comparison tool like Jerry can help you find the best rate for your situation.”
Shannon Martin
Answered on Jul 12, 2021
Shannon is an expert in personal lines liability insurance with 13 + years of insurance industry experience. She also served as a special insurance liaison to AARP members for 6 of those years. She is a graduate of UL Lafayette and currently resides in NY with her family. Shannon is also an amateur juggler, ukulele player, and is a time travel paradox theory enthusiast.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies