Is it legal to pay for an out-of-state child's car insurance?

My son, 24, lives by himself in Florida. I live in Alabama. Is it okay if I pay for his car insurance?

“It’s legal to pay for another person’s car insurance, but the issue here is whether your son is on your Alabama policy. Your son has to be insured in his state of residence, which is Florida.
If your son is on your policy but living in a separate residence in another state, you’ll probably encounter some problems. But if he already has his own policy and you’re just paying for it, you should be fine.”
Carol Chung
Answered on Apr 19, 2021

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies