Is it illegal to insure a car in one state and have it registered in another?

I just moved to Texas for school, but I want to keep my car registered in California. Is that possible?

“Good news: if you’re moving somewhere for school, companies will generally be understanding of your situation regarding registration registration.
If you intend to keep your permanent residence in California, you can likely keep your registration in that state while you’re in school. Your car insurance should cover you when you’re out of state for temporary periods of time, but if you intend to become a resident of Texas, you’ll need to switch both your registration and insurance.
It’s worth keeping in mind that each state varies when it comes to the minimum coverage you need to have for your car. If you do need to switch policies or providers because of this, a great tool to use is Jerry’s free app. With Jerry, we’ll instantly find you quotes from multiple providers so that you can be sure you’re getting the best deal. That way, you can keep your focus on your new place and on your studies!”
Sophie Newman
Answered on Aug 18, 2021
Sophie Newman is a writer from California. Her hobbies include brewing her own kombucha, riding horses, and taking long road trips.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.