Is it considered a lapse in coverage if I cancel my car insurance, but I stay on my parents' insurance?

I just bought a motorcycle. As such, I won't be driving a car nearly as much, if at all, in the future. I want to cancel my car insurance, and I'm still on my parents' policy for the same vehicle. Is this considered a lapse in coverage?

“A lapse is defined as a period of time when you have a registered car, but no car insurance. As long as the car is insured and your name is on your parents’ policy, you’ll be fine.
Assuming you’re on the lookout for cheap motorcycle insurance, you should shop around and get quotes online. This is the only way to ensure you get the right coverage for the lowest price.
If you’re looking for new insurance, Jerry can provide you with competitive quotes in under a minute. “
Eric Schad
Answered on Apr 28, 2021
Eric Schad has been a freelance writer for nearly a decade, as well as an SEO specialist and editor for the past five years. Before getting behind the keyboard, he worked in the finance and music industries (the perfect combo). With a wide array of professional and personal experiences, he’s developed a knack for tone and branding across many different verticals. Away from the computer, Schad is a blues guitar shredder, crazed sports fan, and always down for a spontaneous trip anywhere around the globe.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies