Is a Subaru Outback a good first car?
My teenager just came of driving age and I’m going to split the cost of their first car with them. We’re thinking about a Subaru Outback. Are Subie Outbacks good first cars?
Talullah Blanco · Answered on Dec 28, 2022
Reviewed by Shannon Martin, Licensed Insurance Agent.
Without a doubt, yes! Subarus are really great first cars. My first car was a 2008 Outback and I loved it. They’re very safe, reliable, and easy to drive.
Here’s some information to help you decide if a Subaru Outback is a good first car for yourself:
- Outstanding safety ratings: When searching for your teen’s first car, safety ratings are of the utmost importance. The Subaru Outback has been given the Top Safety Pick Plus award from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety since 2013.
- Extremely reliable: The Subaru Outback is one of the more reliable vehicles in its class and price range. You can expect to get 16 to 20 years of use before major repairs. With an above-average reliability RepairPal rating of 3.5, the Subaru Outback ranks 10th out of 26 midsize SUVs.
- Good fuel-efficiency: Subaru ranked third among auto manufacturers with the best fuel economy and lowest greenhouse gas emissions in the 2021 EPA Automotive Trends Report. With a combined city and highway mpg rating in the high 20s across the board, the Outback is the Subaru with the third-best gas mileage in the model lineup behind the Impreza and the Crosstreck.
Besides being safe, reliable, and fuel-efficient, here are a few other reasons the Subaru Outback is an excellent first car:
- Lower-than-average annual repair and maintenance costs
- Relatively inexpensive car insurance costs
- Standard all-wheel drive
- Combines the predictability, comfort, and easy driving of a station wagon with the off-roading and adventuring capabilities of an SUV
Hopefully, this helps you and your teen decide!
MORE: Car loans for Subarus
View full answer
WHY YOU CAN TRUST JERRY
Jerry partners with more than 50 insurance companies, but our content is independently researched, written, and fact-checked by our team of editors and agents. We aren’t paid for reviews or other content.
Browse More Content
Insurance in Your State
What Others Are Asking
Who do lenders target for car loans?
"I've seen a ton of ads for car loans, but I couldn't figure out who they're appealing to. What's the target market for car loan lenders?"
Jun 15, 2021
How much do Uber drivers make in Arizona?
My boyfriend and I just moved to Arizona and neither of us have jobs yet. We both just got brand new cars last year, though, so we’re thinking we can drive for Uber for a while. Do Uber drivers in Arizona make a decent amount?
Dec 28, 2022
Do all dealers offer a courtesy car?
I'm taking my car to the dealer for some maintenance, but I'm not sure how long it's going to take. Do all dealers offer a courtesy car?
Oct 21, 2021
Read Advice From Car Experts At Jerry
2021 BMW X6 M MSRP and Pricing Information
The 2021 BMW X6 M’s MSRP starts at $65,050, but you’ll likely pay more at the dealership. Click here to find out why.
The Mustang Mach-E Is Finally Available to Order—and Ford Is Taking Advantage By Increasing Starting Prices
Find out more details regarding Ford’s recent price hikes on the 2023 Ford Mustang Mach-E, and how much each trim option has increased by.
Browse By Topics
Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free
No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies