In which state do you register a van?

I have a Colorado driver's license, but I am planning on going all over the US. Should I keep my van and insurance registered in Colorado? How do nomadic people navigate this?

Car insurance and registration can be difficult for people who travel or move often since laws vary by state.
The general rule is that you can keep your license, registration, and insurance in the state you have listed as your permanent residence. If you intend to return to Colorado after your travels and not establish residency in another state, then it makes sense to keep your car insurance, registration, and license in that state.
Car insurance follows the vehicle from state-to-state, so you’ll be covered anywhere you go. If you have liability only, it might be worth adding extra coverage for more protection, especially since you’ll be driving more. You might also want to add roadside assistance for any car misshaps you could need help with.
Adding more coverage can raise your premiums, but that doesn’t mean you have to break the bank to have peace of mind. Try using the free Jerry app. Jerry compares rates from the top 50 companies and delivers the best deals to your phone in minutes. We also have our own roadside assistance through Urgently, offering you towing, lockout service, and a mechanics hotline for only $50 a year.”
Sophie Newman
Answered on Aug 18, 2021
Sophie Newman is a writer from California. Her hobbies include brewing her own kombucha, riding horses, and taking long road trips.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free