In California, can I return a car to the dealer if I didn't sign a full-coverage insurance agreement?

"I financed a car through the dealership, but I didn't get a good deal.

The dealer forgot to give me a full-coverage insurance agreement to sign. They've promised to upgrade my car if I sign it.

Can I return the car to the dealer, as banks will void the loan because I didn't sign this agreement?"

Eric Schad · Answered on Jun 18, 2021
Reviewed by Shannon Martin, Licensed Insurance Agent.
“Full-coverage car insurance is a requirement for any financed vehicle. The reason why the dealer is trying to sweeten the deal is because they shouldn’t have let you drive off the lot in a car without full-coverage auto insurance.
Not signing this paper might void the loan, but it’s not a 100% certainty. You’ll have to talk to the lender about that. It is a bit unethical to refuse signing the agreement for a car you possess simply because you have buyer’s remorse.
If you really don’t want the car, call the lender. What they tell you versus what the dealer tells you might be two starkly different things. They’ll let you know what happens if you don’t sign the paper, and what your options will be as a result.”
View full answer 
Jerry partners with more than 50 insurance companies, but our content is independently researched, written, and fact-checked by our team of editors and agents. We aren’t paid for reviews or other content.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free