In a no-fault state, who will pay for my damages if I'm in an auto accident and don't have insurance?

I live in Florida, a no-fault state. I was in an accident that was not my fault, but my insurance had lapsed. How can I get the other person to pay for the damage to my car in a no-fault state if I do not have insurance?

Answer provided by
Shannon Martin
Answered on May 13, 2021
““No fault” is a term that is very confusing to drivers. It actually refers to personal injury protection, or PIP coverage, a type of auto insurance that pays for injuries to you or your passengers in an accident, regardless of fault.
If you are not at fault for an accident, the other party is still liable for the damages to the vehicle.
If you exchanged insurance information or have a police report (or other means of getting the other person’s insurance information), report a claim to their insurance company.
If the other party has a valid policy and the insurance company accepts liability, they will pay for your damages regardless of your insurance status.”

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies