If someone hits my car while it is parked on the street, can I sue them?

Can I sue someone for hitting my car if they won't share their insurance with me? I was visiting my mom the other day and someone hit my Kia while it was parked in front of her house. The driver was the grumpy man who lives three doors over and he won't give me his insurance information.

Shannon Martin · Updated on
Reviewed by Shannon Martin, Licensed Insurance Agent.
“Yes, you can sue the neighbor for the cost of repairs to your car, but I recommend using that option as a last resort.
Your first action should be to contact your local police department and report the accident. Once they meet with you, they will visit the neighbor and he may be more likely to provide them with the information.
Then you will want to contact your insurance carrier.
Since you have the neighbor’s name and address, they may be able to contact his insurance company directly.
You can also claim the loss under the
collision coverage
on your policy.
Your insurance carrier would then sue the driver on your behalf through subrogation. The goal would be to collect the cost of the repairs and to refund the collision deductible back to you.
If you have a liability-only policy and are not able to get the name of his insurance carrier, then you will want to consider bringing him to small claims court.”
View full answer 
Jerry partners with more than 50 insurance companies, but our content is independently researched, written, and fact-checked by our team of editors and agents. We aren’t paid for reviews or other content.

Join 4M+ members in lowering their car insurance

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings