If my friend is giving me her Ford Escape, can I keep it without driving it and not pay insurance?

I'm interested in the car, but I can't afford to pay insurance right now. Can I keep the vehicle registered under my name and wait until I can afford the extra cost? I live in Texas.

Answer provided by
Sophie Newman
Answered on Jun 16, 2021
Sophie Newman is a writer from California. Her hobbies include brewing her own kombucha, riding horses, and taking long road trips.
“Depending on the state, if you’re not using the car and not parking it on public property, you shouldn’t have to register for car insurance before you’re ready to start driving.
Even if you’re not subject to liabilities, you may want to consider other types of insurance to protect the car from accidents while it’s being stored. “

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies