If I'm in the military can I have out-of-state car insurance?

I'm a Florida resident, but I'm currently stationed in California. Can I stay on my Florida insurance if it's cheaper?

Sophie Newman · Answered on Sep 21, 2021
Reviewed by Shannon Martin, Licensed Insurance Agent.
“Thank you for your service! You are in luck; Florida is very flexible with the needs of its military members. Car insurance is based on the state where your vehicle is garaged, so if you keep your vehicle in California, you should have California insurance.
However, to save you time and money, Florida will allow you to keep your car registered in Florida with Florida plates as long as you complete and submit the Military Insurance Affidavit. You can find all of the information you need online with the Florida DMV.
In summary, you can have a California insurance policy with a Florida registration.
Most insurance companies understand the nomadic life of military members and allow for these updates. Every company has its own rules about what they will and won’t allow in regards to rated location, so check with them before you make any policy changes.
If you are unhappy with how your current company handles the situation, it might be time to shop for car insurance.
The Jerry app is a good place to start. A licensed broker, Jerry does all the hard work of finding the cheapest quotes from the top name-brand insurance companies and buying new car insurance. Jerry also works with several providers that offer deep military discounts.”
View full answer 
Jerry partners with more than 50 insurance companies, but our content is independently researched, written, and fact-checked by our team of editors and agents. We aren’t paid for reviews or other content.

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free