If I provided the wrong trim level, can it be corrected for a claim?

My daughter just totaled her car, and in the payout, I noticed the car insurance company (State Farm) had the wrong trim level. I don't know if it's their fault or hers, but she should actually be getting a higher payout for her trim level. Should I ask them to change the mistake?

Sophie Newman · Updated on
Reviewed by Shannon Martin, Licensed Insurance Agent.
“The vehicle identification number (VIN) is how
car insurance companies
determine trim level, and sometimes their systems aren’t updated with the latest trim levels. However, most of the time they are so close that it will not make a significant difference in the premium or claim payout.
To be on the safe side, let
State Farm
know about the problem and have the claim re-evaluated. If they ask for proof, you can send them a copy of the registration or a picture of the VIN on the car.
If you are concerned with your service from State Farm, it may be time to find a new insurance provider. Give the
app a try! Jerry gathers competitive quotes from over 50 insurance companies for free.”
View full answer 
Jerry partners with more than 50 insurance companies, but our content is independently researched, written, and fact-checked by our team of editors and agents. We aren’t paid for reviews or other content.

Join 4M+ members in lowering their car insurance

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings