If I only have a UK driving licence, can I get auto insurance from a company in the US?

"I just moved to New York and I haven't gotten my state driving license yet. Can I still purchase auto insurance for a car if it's registered in the US?"

“Yes, in New York, you should be able to purchase car insurance on a car registered in the state, even with a foreign driver’s license.
Keep in mind, your rates will likely be high until you obtain a state driver’s license and you might have to choose from a limited number of companies willing to offer you insurance. Jerry can help you find the best car insurance rates. To save money in the long run, obtaining a US driver’s license will be your best option.”
Sophie Newman
Answered on Jul 27, 2021
Sophie Newman is a writer from California. Her hobbies include brewing her own kombucha, riding horses, and taking long road trips.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free