I need an SR22 to activate my driver's license. What should my first step be?

I had my driver's license suspended a few years ago when I was young and dumb. Now I want to get a car and an active license. I know I need an SR22, but I won't have the money to buy a car for a while. What should I do to get started on the right path?

“We can help you get back on track. Asking for guidance is the best first step to take!
An SR22 filing, or “”certificate of financial responsibility,”” is a form that the DMV requires when they want proof that you can be held financially responsible for an accident you cause. In most cases, you will get this form once you start an auto insurance policy.
See if you can be added as a driver on your parents’ policy. If you still live in their household, this may be the less expensive way to get the certificate.
If not, then you will want to look into getting a non owners car insurance policy until you save up enough money for your car.
A non owners policy will provide you with the state-mandated liability coverage limits and allow an insurance carrier to present the SR22 form to the DMV. Once you purchase a car, this policy can be converted into a standard insurance policy. “
Shannon Martin
Answered on May 06, 2021
Shannon is an expert in personal lines liability insurance with 13 + years of insurance industry experience. She also served as a special insurance liaison to AARP members for 6 of those years. She is a graduate of UL Lafayette and currently resides in NY with her family. Shannon is also an amateur juggler, ukulele player, and is a time travel paradox theory enthusiast.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.

Read advice from car experts at Jerry

Easiest way to compare and buy car insurance

No long forms
No spam or unwanted phone calls
Quotes from top insurance companies
Find insurance savings — it's 100% free