How much do electric car charging points cost?
Can you tell me more about the process of charging an electric vehicle? My new husband (we just tied the knot!) has a Jaguar I-PACE and I want to feel more comfortable using it myself for fun family trips while he’s away on business. Can you tell me how much electric car charging points cost?
Answer provided by
- To protect the life of your battery, some recommend to only charge your car to 80%. Rapid changing stations, commonly found at motorway service stations, can charge to 80% in 20-40 minutes.
- If you want to set up an EV charging station at home, consider how your place of residence is wired. The **cost of equipment **can cost between $200 to $1,000 and installation fees can be as much as $1,300.
- If the average driver clocks 540 miles a month, they will use about 180 kWh. On average the price of kWh in the U.S. is $0.12/kWh. 180 kWh x $0.12 = **$21.60 per month **to charge at home.
- The cost of public charging stations can vary state by state, California being one of the most expensive. Prices can also vary depending on the time of day. Some automakers like Hyundai, Volkswagen, and Nissan include a two-year membership at participating stations.
- **Monthly rates **for public charging stations can range from $4 to closer to $8 a month. If you’re looking to pay as you go, Evgo charges 35 cents a minute for a fast charge.