How long do I have to reinstate my insurance if my policy lapsed accidentally?

I thought I had autopay set up for my car insurance policy, but I didn't, and now my policy has lapsed. It's been kind of a hard year, so I haven't been able to reinstate it yet, but I'm worried that I might have exceeded the time limit. How long do I have to reinstate my policy?

“I’m so sorry your year has been so rough; I know a lot of people have been struggling recently. Your window of time to reinstate your policy is fairly narrow, but potentially doable: if your car insurance policy lapses, most companies will reinstate the policy if it’s lapsed within 30 days due to nonpayment and you have no claims or losses in your history.
In most cases, you’ll be required to pay the amount due before the policy lapsed and possibly the first month up front.
If your car insurance company won’t reinstate your policy, that just means it’s time to find a new provider. Sites like Jerry can be really helpful—we’ll get you dozens of customized quotes from different providers so that you’re able to pick the coverage that works best for you, at the best price point. We’ll also help you switch once you’ve found a policy you like! That way, you can focus on the important areas of your life and let us worry about the nitty-gritty of car insurance.
Best of luck—remember, you’ve got this.”
Eric Schad
Answered on Sep 13, 2021
Eric Schad has been a freelance writer for nearly a decade, as well as an SEO specialist and editor for the past five years. Before getting behind the keyboard, he worked in the finance and music industries (the perfect combo). With a wide array of professional and personal experiences, he’s developed a knack for tone and branding across many different verticals. Away from the computer, Schad is a blues guitar shredder, crazed sports fan, and always down for a spontaneous trip anywhere around the globe.

Did this answer help you?

Ask us a question by email and we will respond within a few days.

Have a different question?

You can meet us at our office and discuss the details of your question.